- ALWAYS TEST A SWATCH FIRST! Rub your stain remover on a hidden area of the fabric. Make sure to try the least harmful method first.
- REACT QUICKLY! Apply your stain remover as soon as possible and launder immediately after treatment if possible. Keep in mind that any type of heat, hot water and some detergents can help set in stains.
- WORK FROM THE INSIDE OUT Apply your stain remover on the underside of the spot to prevent the stain from being forced even further down into and through the fabric.
Aside from the above tips there are different removal methods as well. Some of these methods are the absorbent application, bleach application, and sponge technique.
· Absorbent Application Method
1. First lay down a clean cloth or towel underneath the stained area.
2. Spread a layer of absorbent material, such as cornstarch, on the stain and work into the fabric gently.
3. When the absorbent agent cakes, remove by shaking or brushing off.
4. Repeat the above procedure until most of the stain is gone.
5. Apply a final layer and allow to remain overnight.
· Bleach Application Method
NEVER USE ON DARK OR UNWASHABLE FABRICS,
SILK, WOOL OR LEATHER
1. For untreated white cotton you can try 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of lukewarm water. Soak up to 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
2. For washables try 2 Tablespoons of bleach to 1 quart cold water. Soak for 5 to 15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
3. For non-washables you can try 1 Teaspoon bleach to 1 cup cold water. Apply directly to the stain with something like a medicine dropper and then rinse thoroughly.· Sponge Technique Method
1. Place the reverse side of the stain on a clean, folded cloth.
2. Using your cleaning solvent sparingly, gently dab onto the stain using a moistened cloth or cotton.
3. Work form the center to the edge of the stain, moving the pad underneath as the stain is absorbed.
There are many clothing care tips and stain removal techniques. These tips, along with a Jiffy Steamer, can help keep your clothes looking fresh and new! The personal model Jiffy Steamer J-2000 is a great way to keep your fabrics from looking crushed and worn. Because steam does not crush fabric like a hot sole-plate on an iron, your clothing can look refreshed and wrinkle-free all season!